This symbol was adopted as its badge by the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament in Britain, and originally, its use was confined to supporters of that organization. It was later generalised to become an icon of the 1960s anti-war movement, and was also adopted by the counterculture of the time. It was designed and completed February 21, 1958 by Gerald Holtom, a commercial designer and artist in Britain. He had been commissioned by the CND to design a symbol for use at an Easter march to Canterbury Cathedral in protest against the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment at Aldermaston in England.
Keywords: peace, peace sign, peace symbol, cnd, war, anti war, anti-bush, 60's, 60s, hippy, hippie, anti-war, retro, vintage, antiwar, black, peace now, peace logo, peace graphic, world peace