Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Advanced SEO Practices
Do's and Don'ts for the Advanced Shopkeeper
- Do use Alt tags for images that are precise and to the point. However, don’t over use Alt
- Do use H1, H2 tags for headings and sub-headings.
- Do use Bold, Italics and Link Text for the keywords you are optimizing.
- Do use keyword-rich copy. Use keywords in strategic locations of your copy.
- Do cross-link your site with a logical structure. This structure should be carefully designed after analyzing the Page Rank outflow versus Page Rank inflow.
- Do use keywords in incoming links.
- Do use good incoming links from high ranking sites in your field.
- Do follow what the industry leaders are saying. Check
Google's Guidelines for SEO.
- Do use Google, MSN and the entire Web to check your back links from time to time.
The following URLs can be used for checking Back links.
- Google: link: www.cafepress.com/YOURSHOPID
- MSN: linkdomain: www.cafepress.com/YOURSHOPID -domain: www.cafepress.com/YOURSHOPID
- All the web: link: www.cafepress.com/YOURSHOPID
- Don't keep any hidden text or links on your pages. This could get you banned permanently.
- Don't try to cloak. This could also get you banned.
- Don't over use keywords in alt tags.
- Don't follow unsolicited advice.
- Don't use automated link exchange programs.
- Don't over use the same keyword in the incoming links.
- Don't use too many keywords in the description for Directories, they will not be approved; instead it would be changed completely.
- Don't use links from bad sites. It's good to find out if that site is already spidered by
Google before doing Link Exchange.
- Don't trade links from highly cloaked and hidden text pages.
- Don't include too many hyphens within your
- 1 Hyphen – OK (www.prints-posters.com)
- 2 Hyphens – Suspicious (www.music-prints-posters.com)
- 3 Hyphens – Drop off (www.britney-music-prints-posters.com)
- More than 3 Hyphens – Not Indexed (www.britney-spears-music-prints-posters.com)
- Don't include the official title of your
company in your title tag. The title tag is one of the most important
factors search engines use to index your pages. Instead include keyword
- Don't try to trick search engines by using
irrelevant words or redirects. Sooner or later you will be penalized and
dropped. Spend more time on developing an informative site rather than
multiple SPAM sites.
Table of Contents: Quick Links