The Cook House was the home of Tillinghast Almy Cook and Elizabeth "Betsey" Russell Cook. Built in 1829, it is the oldest brick home in Parkersburg, West Virginia still standing in its original location.
When the Cook House was built, its Federal architectural style was very unusual for this fronteir area. The two-story, inverted T-shaped house, with 8 rooms and 5 fireplaces, was quite a contrast to the prevailing rectangular one-room log homes of the other settlers. The bricks used in constructing the home were formed from clay found on the property and were fired in a kiln also on the property.
The house remained in the possession of the Cooks and their decendants for 147 years until Elizabeth Wolfe Eddy, Tillinghast's great granddaughter, donated the house to the Junior League of Parkersburg in 1978. Since 1986, the Junior League has maintained the house as a 19th century historical exhibit for all of our community to enjoy and treasure. in addition to hosting a Christmas Open House each December, League members also provide free tours to all fourth grade classes in the county as a supplement to their West Virginia history studies. The Cook House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.